Sunday, July 20, 2008

Andrew don check out!

The meaning of youth around the world and some parts of Nigeria: Young persons, collectively or a young person; especially, a young man or the quality or state of being young; youthfulness; juvenility or the part of life that succeeds to childhood; the period of existence preceding maturity or age; the whole early part of life, from childhood, sometimes, from infancy, to manhood.

The meaning of youth in Warri: Hooligan, vagabond, troublemaker, thug, ruffian, brute and any other negative term you wish to apply.

I am upset, no; let me make it very clear, I am extremely distressed that the youths in Delta state, especially Warri think it’s necessary to disturb our peace of minds and jobs with unnecessary violence. I have often said that my teenage years were plagued with the constant curfews, violence and military presence. I thought that was bad enough, I do not want to know what the children born in 2000 have to say about their childhood. Perhaps whilst children in other parts of Nigeria can boast of playing football until dark or playing hide and seek in their neighborhoods, the child of Warri will boast of military sand bags and the sound of local guns in the air. That is the memory our children will have. The sad part of it all is that one never knows what they are fighting about. At least, during my time, one could always guess that it was an ethnic clash of some sort…Urhobo and Itsekiri, Ijaw and Urhobo, Itsekiri and Ijaw…or all three of them. These days, the violence seems to have no foundation…what exactly are you fighting for or against? Some say it is “politics”. That is the reason ehn? Politics? Pray, tell me the cause, so I can join in. Others say it is “deve”. I am afraid to say I have no idea what that means. Apparently, anytime some sort of development has to take place in our area, some sort of fee has to be paid to our youth. I have no idea why anybody would want to be bribed so that development would take place in an area. Is that not what we want? To be developed? Should you not welcome, with both arms wide open, anybody or company that wishes to help in development? I have no clue. I am at a loss in these matters. However, anybody that can explain to me how this fee works and why it should be paid at all, please write to me at waffywaffarian@yahoo.com.

Meanwhile, okada users in the troubled areas are now forced to raise their hands up in the air when approaching the military. As usual, military presence is now at an all time high. I cannot wait to see the kind of games our kids will come up with, with this new found drama. So while the streets will be littered with burnt cars and bodies, the drama of the summit goes on and at this stage, I have to ask: “who cares?”

Therefore, fellow Nigerians, don’t be surprised and flabbergasted when you hear of people risking their lives crossing deserts and oceans to get to another man’s land. If this is what you have to see every day, would you stay? Abeg, safe journey Andrew, send a post card when you get there!

P.S: Effurun people! Why e be say, anytime violence dey, na una own must to pass everybody power? Haba! Sofrey, sofrey, my people, no be so oh. Na beg I dey take beg una. Meanwhile, I agree with Mrs Waziri, una don kolo finish for dis country. All of una, minus me.

Una do well.

3 comments:

TheAfroBeat said...

eeek, i just tyoed up a long comment and it's disappeared under the "blogger is not currently available" disguise!

Was simply saying how sad it is that Warri has come to this. And that youths have no clue that they are only making matters worse with their hooliganism. How do we stop this? Abi na just to pack everyone commot?

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

LOL@"The meaning of youth in Warri: Hooligan, vagabond, troublemaker, thug, ruffian, brute and any other negative term you wish to apply"
I love how you have managed to weave your frustration with so much humor. I seriously laughed out loud reading this-and at the same time felt a deep sadness.
The situation in the Niger-Delta is so complex. There is everyone, and no one to point fingers at.
E GO BETTER.

MissBalance said...

Lol! Andrew still dey check out? Indeed, interwoven frustration and humour. The server is really down. But if every Tom, Dick and Andrew checks out, how have we solved the problemssss? Tomorrow will be far worse than whatever obtains today. U do well!